AOC: 'We Have to Move Forward' With ImpeachmentNewser — Kate Seamons
Count Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez among the lawmakers ready to get the impeachment process rolling. The Democratic congresswoman took to Twitter on Tuesday to discuss the subject, though a line given to CNN arguably grabbed more headlines.
"I trust the speaker is taking a measured approach to ensure that we’re moving everyone forward and, you know, being a speaker is hard, holding this party together is a difficult task," she said.
Then came the much-quoted part: "But I personally think so. I think we have to move forward."
She also took to Twitter with a series of tweets explaining why she felt the House had to proceed:
- "It is just as politicized a maneuver to not impeach in the face of overwhelming evidence as it is to impeach w/o cause. Congress swore an oath to uphold the Constitution. That includes impeachment. We have a duty to preserve our institutions + uphold the rule of law." (here)
- "Just as what happens in the House doesn’t control Senate, what happens in the Senate shouldn’t control the House. DoJ outlined ev of 10 criminal instances. Pres is now obstructing legally binding subpoenas. We need to do our job & vote on impeachment. What Sen does is on them." (here)
- "Remember, Clinton was also impeached - that failed in Sen too. Our institutions didn’t suffer then, but they have been damaged greatly today w unwillingness to impeach. Whether it’s Dem fear or GOP recklessness, doesn’t matter. Failure to impeach now is neglect of due process." (here)
- Dead Man's Hard Drives Add Surprise Census Wrinkle
- Warren: Let's Change Rules on Indicting Presidents
- Trump Speaks on 'Nasty' Meghan Markle Before UK Trip
This article originally appeared on Newser: AOC: 'We Have to Move Forward' With Impeachment