Police: Suspect in officer's killing was wearing body armorJanuary 12, 2017 9:52pm

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A fugitive who is the focus of a four-day manhunt was wearing a bulletproof vest when he fatally shot an Orlando police sergeant earlier this week, Orlando's police chief said Thursday.

Investigators found clothing belonging to 41-year-old Markeith Loyd that suggests Master Sgt. Debra Clayton returned fire after she was shot, but that a bulletproof vest protected the suspect, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said.

Clayton was killed Monday morning after approaching Loyd in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart store. He was wanted at the time for the murder of his pregnant ex-girlfriend in mid-December.

The fugitive shot Clayton several times, even when she was on the ground, the chief said.

Police arrested a former supervisor at the fried-chicken restaurant where Loyd worked, an ex-girlfriend and a niece on Tuesday and Wednesday on charges of helping him in the weeks after Loyd's ex-girlfriend was fatally shot. Mina said they haven't been cooperative in locating him.

"If there is anyone who is harboring, aiding, abetting him in any way, they will be arrested as we've seen with the past three arrests," Mina said.

Hundreds of deputies and officers have searched almost 100 places since Monday, and they've received more than 800 tips.

The searches have been lower-profile compared to Monday's door-to-door search of an Orlando apartment complex, and searchers have cast a broader net in central Florida, Mina said.

The crime-tip service Crimeline is offering a $100,000 reward for a tip that leads to Loyd's arrest.

"Anybody who makes a phone call is valuable to us at this point," said Barb Bergin, the local Crimeline's executive director.

After Clayton was shot, many of her colleagues immediately joined the pursuit. Among them was sheriff's Deputy First Class Norman Lewis, who died when he was thrown from his motorcycle in an accident.

Funerals were planned for Lewis for Friday and Clayton for Saturday.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Chief Assistant Prosecutor Stacey Graffenreid meets with Hamilton County Judge Leslie Ghiz concerning the retrial of a former University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing in the shooting death of motorist Sam DuBose, Monday, Jan. 23, 2017, in Cincinnati. Ghiz met with attorneys Monday in the Ray Tensing case and told reporters afterward that she wants to make sure that a jury can be seated in Hamilton County. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
Judge focuses on keeping police shooting case in Cincinnati
FILE - In a Nov. 29, 2016 file photo, former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager testifies during his murder trial at the Charleston County court in Charleston, S.C. A judge on Monday, Jan. 23, 2017, is asking lawyers defending Slager awaiting a retrial on a murder charge in a traffic stop shooting to talk to prosecutors about when to start his next trial. Slager’s attorneys want to delay the scheduled March 1 retrial. Media outlets report that Circuit Judge Clifton Newman will decide Tuesday whether to grant that request. Slager is charged with murder in the shooting death last year of Walter Scott. (Grace Beahm/Post and Courier via AP, Pool)
Judge to decide on delaying ex-officer's retrial for murder
White NYC officer awaits punishment in killing of black teenThe disciplinary trial of a white New York Police Department officer who shot an unarmed black teenager to death has ended, but his punishment probably won't be known for several weeks
FILE - In this Jan. 9, 2017, file photo, Missouri Gov.-elect Eric Greitens speaks in Jefferson City, Mo. The newly seated Governor is pushing to toughen Missouri's already stiff penalties for attacking a police officer, reflecting similar efforts underway in other states and pleasing many in Missouri's law enforcement community, which has been on the defensive since the police killing of an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner File)
Some question push for tougher penalties for attacking cops
FILE – In this Feb. 29, 2016, file photo, American student Otto Warmbier speaks as Warmbier is presented to reporters in Pyongyang, North Korea. North Korea announced Warmbier's detention Jan. 22, 2016, and the University of Virginia student from suburban Cincinnati was sentenced in March 2016 to 15 years in prison at hard labor after a televised confession that he tried to steal a propaganda banner. As President Donald Trump's administration takes office one year later, there's been little public word about what has happened to Warmbier. (AP Photo/Kim Kwang Hyon, File)
Little is known on status of US student held in North Korea
The Latest: 2nd arrest made in San Antonio mall shootingSan Antonio police say a second suspect has been arrested in the deadly shooting and robbery that took place in a shopping mall
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices