WHO: 400 contacts being traced in Congo's Ebola outbreakMay 18, 2017 10:24am

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Health workers are monitoring more than 400 people amid an Ebola outbreak in a remote corner of Congo where already three deaths have been blamed on the virus, the World Health Organization said Thursday.

An experimental vaccine has been developed since the West African epidemic in 2014-2016 that left more than 11,000 people dead, but WHO said it is still awaiting permission from the Congolese government to use it.

The Ebola outbreak in the far north near the border with Central African Republic is the eighth in Congo since 1976. Congo has a long track record with the hemorrhagic fever, WHO said.

"However, we cannot underestimate the logistical and practical challenges associated with this response in a very remote, insecure part of the country," said Dr. Peter Salama, executive director of WHO's health emergencies program.

"We've also learned never, ever to underestimate the Ebola virus disease."

Authorities believe three deaths are linked to the outbreak: a 39-year-old man who died before he could reach a hospital, the motorcyclist transporting him and a caregiver traveling with them.

So far just two cases have been confirmed by laboratory testing. There are 18 other suspected cases.

The outbreak in Likati is some 1,400 kilometers (870 miles) from Congo's capital, Kinshasa. Helicopters and small aircraft are carrying teams to the remote area, where they are setting up a mobile testing laboratory and making improvements to the local airstrip.

Because the Ebola vaccine is still considered experimental, Congo's government must give special permission for it to be used. WHO is still awaiting such confirmation, at which point it could take about a week to ship the vaccines to Congo and have teams ready to carry it out.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

The Latest: Botulism outbreak seems limited to 1 cheese bagCalifornia health officials say botulism outbreak linked to nacho-cheese sauce appears limited to an opened bag of the sauce
FILE - In this Sept. 9, 2016 file photo, a visitor uses binoculars to see the North Korean territory from the unification observatory in Paju, South Korea.  South Korea approved Friday, May 26, 2017, a civic group to contact North Korea over aid programs, the first such approval since North Korea's nuclear test in January 2016. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man. File)
S. Korea OKs civilian contact with North Korea over malaria
Albania returning Brazil poultry shipment with salmonellaAlbanian food authorities say they have decided to turn back to Brazil 26 metric tons of poultry that were blocked after found with high levels of salmonella
Singer Nicki Minaj poses for photographers upon arrival at the amfAR charity gala during the Cannes 70th international film festival, Cap d'Antibes, southern France, Thursday, May 25, 2017. (Photo by Arthur Mola/Invision/AP)
Stars turn out for lavish French Riviera AIDS fundraiser
Botulism outbreak seems limited to 1 nacho-cheese sauce bagA woman who contracted botulism after eating nacho-cheese sauce sold at a California gas station is suing the business and the maker of the cheese dip
German kindergartens to name parents who skip vaccine adviceThe German government wants kindergartens to inform authorities if parents fail to prove they have attended a doctors' consultation on child vaccination
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices