Ask Kim


Don't Overlook These Tax Credits for College
[Question]I'll have two children in college this year - my daughter is starting her junior year, and my son will be a freshman. Can I take the American Opportunity Credit for expenses for both of them?

SEE ALSO: How to File an Amended Return to Claim an Education Tax Break


Yes, as long as you meet the income requirements. The American Opportunity Credit is worth up to $2,500 per student for each of his or her first four years of college. It's calculated as 100% of the first $2,000 paid toward a student's eligible expenses plus 25% of the next $2,000 spent. Eligible expenses include tuition, required fees and course materials. Room and board don't count.

The student must be enrolled at least half-time in a program that leads to a degree, certificate or other recognized education credential.

To qualify for this credit in 2017, your adjusted gross income must be less than $180,000 if you're married and file taxes jointly, or $90,000 if you file as single or head of household. The amount of the credit starts to phase out for joint filers who earn more than $160,000, and single filers or heads of household who earn $80,000.

You can claim the credit by filing IRS Form 8863 with your tax return. For more information, see Instructions for Form 8863.

Students who go to school less than half-time, are in graduate school or take other eligible courses may qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. The credit is worth 20% of the first $10,000 spent on eligible expenses for the year - or a maximum of $2,000 per tax return (not per student.) There is no limit on the number of years you can take this credit, but you can't claim both the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit for the same student in the same tax year.

SEE ALSO: Benefit From Your 529 Plan and the American Opportunity Tax Credit in the Same Year

To qualify, your adjusted gross income must be less than $132,000 for joint filers, or $66,000 for single filers and heads of household. The amount of the credit starts to phase out if you earn more than $112,000 if married filing jointly or $56,000 for single filers.

For more information about the rules, see IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits for Education.

SEE ALSO: What to Know About Reimbursements From 529 Plans


Copyright 2017 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

What to Do With a 529 College-Savings Plan...

[Question]We have been saving in a 529 since our son was young, but he has learning issues and may not...

10 Things You Need to Know About Health...

[Question]I don't have many medical expenses. Why would I want to open a health savings account?SEE...

When to Sign Up for Medigap and...

[Question]I read your column about the time frame for signing up for Medicare Part B if you're still...

Opening an ABLE Account

[QUESTION]Is there an age limit for opening an ABLE account for a person with a disability? What...

Prepaid Cards & Teen Checking

My 13-year-old son is flying alone to go to summer camp in Colorado. I'd like him to have access to...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger